Friday, October 26, 2012

Inferencing Lessons - 5th Grade

We have had lots of fun learning about inferencing. For two weeks we talked about an practiced infering with books, videos and real life situations. 

Day 1 - To start our lesson we watched a great pod cast from a class on inferencing. Check it out!



After watching the video we looked through a packed suitcase to make inferences about the person the suitcase belongs to and where they went. I packed a suitcase with a few of my husbands things as if he was going to a baseball game. I would show the class 2 or 3 items and then let them discuss with their group.





Day 2 - We watched a great video called Pigeon Impossible. It is really funny and has lots of opportunities to pause and infer. The kids loved it and everyone had their hands up to answer questions. These are some of the questions I asked: What is the man's profession? What is the setting? What might happen?As you watch the video you will see many other questions you can ask.
                                     


Day 3 - Crime Scene

This was my favorite day!! It was so much fun! Check of the post I made about our crime scene





Day 4 and 5 - Riddles 

We read a few different riddles and then students created their own riddles. For my higher students I had them write a riddle about something that is not physical; wind, love, etc. Each riddle included 4 clues and the answer. 





Week 2

We read poems and discussed how to infer what is happening. I used kids poems and poems by Robert Frost. We also read a mystery and discussed the clues that help us infer what will happen.

13 comments:

  1. So fun....love all these ideas!!! I teach 4th grade and I may just have to borrow these awesome ideas when we get to our inferring lesson!

    Lisa
    Super Pig and Tyrant King

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I teach 4th grade in the morning and have a few different things that we did for inferencing. We looked at comic strips and inferred what was said in the empty speech bubble. The students then made their own comic strips with one thought/speech bubble empty. I will be posting that soon.

      Sarah

      Delete
    2. I just posted the 4th grade lessons on inferring :)

      Delete
    3. I loved your ideas. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah hope your having a wonderful summer with your little one; thanks for sharing your work. I'm a 5th grade teacher-going on me 3rd year- and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing, I'm going to love using this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was stumped on what to do for my inference unit that is coming up! I am a first year teacher and need all the ideas that I can get :) Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I teach 3rd grade, but LOVE these ideas!! I will definitely be using the crime scene -- they're going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your ideas. We share your site with other teachers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great ideas, thanks so much for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I used this suitcase activity with my 5th graders and they LOVED it. They wrote all sorts of inferences about your husband. Would you mind sharing some information about your husband so that I can reveal they mystery person to my class? For example, how old is your husband? What baseball game did he go to? What does your husband do for a living? Does he suffer from allergies? Etc.. If you don't feel comfortable answering these in the comments, feel free to email me. aneibauer@cherrycreekschools.org.

    Thanks!
    Adrian

    ReplyDelete